Sunday, December 23, 2018

I Want a Goalie (Parody of I Want a Wife by Judy Brady)

Just as Judy Brady "[belongs] to the classification of people known as wives" (Brady 1) I belong to the classification of soccer players known as goalies. For every eleven soccer players, one of them is a goalie, so we are a minority in the soccer world. I just joined a new soccer team because they were in desperate need of a goalie. Now that I think about it, I too would like a goalie. I would like to be a striker who can relax in the middle of the field when the goalie is being bombarded with attacks from the opponent. I want a goalie who can stand in front the goal for me and block soccer balls that come at him at 90 miles per hour. I want a goalie who dives left and right to make saves while scratching and bruising his arms, elbows, and shoulders. I want a goalie who doesn't complain about the physical pain that he is experiencing, but he must listen to me when I complain about being tripped by the opponent. I want a goalie who can psychologically deal with the responsibility for conducting the soccer game. I want a goalie who can deal with the pressure of having to order the defense so we can break down the opponent's attack. At the same time, I don't want a goalie who is too commanding and will hurt my feelings.  My goalie must take the blame when we concede a goal even though I let an opponent run by me. I want a goalie who is okay with being scolded by our coach. I want a goalie who is booed by the fans when we are losing, and is completely forgotten about when we are winning. I want a goalie who is overworked when we are playing against a good team. I want a goalie who stands and watches the game while we are playing against a bad team. My God, who wouldn't want a goalie?
Image result for goalkeeper in the mud






         
Image result for goalkeeper in the mud

3 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting take on "I Want a Wife." I like that you used goalies as your subject because they really are extremely underappreciated in sports. Do you think, though, that this idea of using and then discarding can be applied to all positions on a team?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who was a goalie when I played back in 1st or 2nd grade, I did not have the mental capacity of knowing that playing in goalie would be tough. It makes me think how different age groups that play soccer feel about being in the goal and how they want to have someone that can do the things that might trouble you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being experienced in the sport of soccer, I can agree that goalies are well underappreciated. After reading this parody, it is evident that goalies are a vital part of the game. Goalies around the world should be thankful for recognizing their accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete